The Boats -
242. NAME: Brighton. GAUGE No. AND DATE:
HEALTH REGISTRATION AND DATE: Brentford
BUILT BY: HARLAND & WOLFF. TYPE:
'F' - Town Class. CONSTRUCTION: All Steel.
KNOWN AS: Large Woolwich. DELIVERED:
INTENDED MOTOR: 123 BRISTOL
delivery in 1936 Brighton's path followed much the same
one as Nuneaton's.
1948 saw Brighton nationalised into the British
Transport Commission (D. & I.W.E.) fleet, and active carrying
service through B.T.C. (B.T.W.) and into the ownership of B.W.B. in
Willow Wren C.T.S. Ltd. hired Brighton
from B.W.B. until 1967, when along with 35 other boats she was
repossessed and shortly after disposed of.
(right) in Willow Wren trim, Sutton's Stop, early 1960's.(pic: Dusty
new owners, Union Canal Carriers Ltd. of
Braunston, operated a number of carrying narrowboats as camping boats
where youth parties would holiday in the hold of the boats underneath
the cloths. Brighton, usually paired with the motor Bexhill,
introduced thousands of youngsters to canals over the next few years.
pair working the
River Soar gravel run in the 80's. Notice the buckled holds.....
saw the next ownership change, when both Bexhill and Brighton
were sold to the actor James Warrior. Both boats continued to be
operated as camping boats at Rickmansworth, though with limited
success, as later the same year both were sold to Threefellows
Carrying and based on the River Soar at Thurmaston. Both boats
were put back to work carrying deep loads of gravel along a short
stretch of the river. Brighton developed a reputation at
this time for sinking rather than loading. Threefellows carried
out the first steps in her restoration (but only what was essential),
and continued to work the boat hard.
Threefellows sold Brighton
in 1990, so passing it into private ownership for the first time.
continued the slow restoration process with structural work being done
to the hull as well as replacing the wooden cabin with a slightly
extended steel one, by Roger Farrington (Ivy Bridge Marine) of
Braunston. Brighton still did a small amount of
carrying, though more recreationally than commercially.
Boat Trust Ltd acquired Brighton in 1995,
immediately replacing many of the knees (to hold the sides and bottom
of the boat together). The restoration of Brighton is
ongoing, although the fitting out of the cabin was completed and
painted in traditional style in 2003.
Like Nuneaton, Brighton's carrying future has
been secured, but a great deal of work remains necessary to maintain
the boats in a proper state.
Back to Top of the
Boat Trust is a company limited by guarantee, registered in Cardiff
under number 1724536
Office of the Narrow Boat Trust is at:
23 Redway Drive, Twickenham, Middlesex TW2 7NT
The Narrow Boat
Trust is a charity registered in England under number: 288243